Help Keep the AA Database Up To Date
It's been a long time since I've played EQ, so I probably won't be buying the expansion just to update AA. I'm hoping that maybe I can get some people who use the site to help with updates.
Unlike spells, AA data is not distributed with the game and is not easily available.
With help from mackal and kauffman12/Kizant, I now have a process for extracting AA data from packet captures.
You can help if you have:
- A max level character with full AA (or mostly full AA).
It helps if you've bought a lot of glyphs because after a
/resetaa you will have more AA to spend.
Wireshark installed on your computer and some know-how on how it works.
Wireshark captures all communication between your computer and the internet while it is running. Optionally, you can restrict the wireshark capture filter to "udp" to create a smaller capture file and limit capture of non EQ related data.
The process works best on the beta server because you can request free AA from the PoK NPC, but you can also do this on test if you have a surplus of AA from previous glyph usage.
- Copy your character to the test server by using the
/testcopy command or to the beta server by using the
- Log in to the test or beta server.
- Start the Wireshark capture while at the character selection screen. If you already had it running then stop it and start it again.
- Load your character into the game and make sure you don't zone at any time during the next steps. Zoning seems to confuse the packet decoder.
- Use the
/resetaa command to reset your AA to 0. Full AA data can only be captured while purchasing AA.
- Purchase all AA skills. You can use the "Buy All" button to speed things up.
- After you have purchased all of your AA, stop the Wireshark capture and save it.
- Email the saved Wireshark capture to me at email@example.com and please include a note to let me know which class it is for.
The file should only be a few MB in size.
That's it. Thanks for contributing :)
If you're doing multiple characters, you will need to do this process for each one because you can't use a single capture to collect data for multiple switches to the character select screen.